On game day, it’s fun to wear your jersey and show some team spirit. What you might not realize are the three ways your financial planning process is similar to a jersey. Consider the names, numbers, and symbols on a jersey. How might they be similar to the names, numbers, and symbols on your financial statements?
(Click the featured times below to jump forward in the episode)
[1:20] – The Number
- Jersey numbers often signify positions. What is your number in retirement?
- How much do you need in savings?
- What rates of return do you need?
- What risks should you take?
- Income is the most important number to understand in retirement.
- Eric shares a client story of a couple who felt they understood the numbers.
[5:48] – The Name
- Some teams choose not to have individual names on their jerseys. Instead, they feature the name of the team.
- A lot of people face similar issues in retirement. These include: income planning, Social security planning, and tax planning. Depending on the household, these issues will have different impacts.
- You want your financial advisors to be working for you, but they should customize a plan to your needs.
- Eric shares how he uses his tax knowledge to help clients.
[11:11] – The Look
- Sometimes the jersey looks great, but the team is awful.
- Consistent teams understand the basics and have a system.
- A lot of times, there are simple plans and products that work for retirement.
- You want a plan that will enable you to enter retirement with confidence and enjoy it.
Check out some other recent episodes
What do couples tend to argue about when it comes to their money in retirement? Eric talks through what you need to do to get on the same page.Read More
Looking for a way around paying for long-term care insurance? Will an inheritance cover it? Eric answers this question and two others from the mailbag.Read More